Saturday 5 December 2009

Writing Style 1


Having made it’s debut in London’s Victoria Palace Theatre on March 11th 2005 'Billy Elliot - The Musical' is still one of The West End’s most successful musical’s. The Musical has won a number of awards including four Olivier Awards, Ten Tony Awards and Ten Drama Desk Awards.

Lee Hall - a name all male ballet dancers should highly respect as he is the man who bought us the 2000 screenplay of Billy Elliot, his work was taken from the big screen to the stage and he went with it. The directing skills of Stephen Daldry and chorography by Peter Darling (who also worked on the screenplay) shine with perfection and professionalism much like the film allowing none of the Billy magic to be lost in translation.

Set in the tough North East area of Tyneside Billy has spent his childhood longing to impress his family. With his mother dead and father caught up in the bitter mining strikes of 1984, Billy’s father has hopes for him to fulfil his dreams of being a boxer little does he know that the arts of ballet has caught his sons eye. While he trains in the gym he spends his time fantasising about ballet - the perfect pirouette rather then a mean right hook, the beauty and grace of ballet is something that Billy cannot forget.

As his struggle to become an established dancer begins Billy finds it hard to keep it from his father and after a little persuasion from various people Billy’s father gets behind his son and works to fulfil his dancing dreams and work towards an audition for ‘The Royal Ballet School’ in London. However as he is on strike he has no money coming in leaving him no choice but to return to the mines to fund Billy’s dreams Billy’s brother becomes infuriated seeing his father cross the picket line and the two come to blows, he sees his father as a ‘scab’ for breaking the unity of the miners, however one by one the miners back Billy’s dreams and offer the strike money for his bus fare to London yet this is still not enough, another of the ‘scabs’ offers Billy £100 from his wage - this is his chance Billy and Mr. Elliot make their way down to London to follow the boys dreams.

The story of Billy Elliot will have the family chanting ‘GO BILLY’ the whole way through the show, pulling at your heart strings and crying with laughter, this is a real must see for people of all ages. ’Billy Elliot - The Musical’ has been a West End sell out for nearly five years and has been taken across the pond showing in Broadway and debuting in Chicago in March 2010. Australia’s version of the show has bagged itself 6 of Australia’s most prestigious awards - The Helpmann Awards. Korea also want a slice of the Billy action and have been holding auditions throughout the year in search of their perfect Billy Elliot.

So far we have seen twenty one different boys play the role of Billy, Liam Mower, James Lomas and George Maguire being the original three who in the first anniversary of ‘Billy Elliot - The Musical’ performed the role together each going on for various slices of the action, they were later joined by Sir Elton John.
To book tickets - which I suggest you do go to the following link...

3 comments:

  1. Gabrille,
    I like the topic you have chosen of 'Billy Elliot' the musical for your marketing piece. I don’t really know much about this show as I haven't even seen the film yet - I know that is probably a sin in the performing arts world. But from your marketing piece I have learnt the plot of the story and read through your writing that the audience will feel a sense of the achievement, for not only Billy.

    I do feel that there is maybe a bit too much detail about the story line, especially about the 'Scabs' giving money etc, you could say something like, 'But is there hope for Billy's dream to come true? Will unexpected help come to the rescue? Will Billy get his chance to show of his talent in London? I'm sure you can write better than what I have... but you just want to treat the reader with a taster of the show to draw them into wanting to know more and booking.

    I love the bold red writing; it ties in nicely with your picture. Maybe you could highlight some key points within your writing especially with the booking info.

    I feel your 2nd paragraph could be placed after your 'Go Billy' paragraph. As from your introduction paragraph as a reader you want to find out more about the show's story, but you are distracted with this etc information. Which some people can find hard to get back into the flow of the writing. Once this paragraphed is more I feel that the information about the director is important, but maybe elaborate about Lee Hall is he a dancer, director etc? Lots of people are interested in highly recognised people within the industry and can be persuaded to book form this information.

    I feel the last paragraph is just extra information that I feel the reader may find out about when watching the show in the musical’s programme. I feel for your marketing piece this may not necessarily be needed to win over the reader but maybe useful within your academic piece. I think elaborate on booking information or maybe write one last quote from the show, or show review quotes from 'TimeOut' for example - using your red bold writing. What do you think?

    This is a very good first draft marketing piece Gabrille, I hope I have helped develop your piece. And I must say I am defiantly putting this musical on my list of 'must see in the Westend'.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laura

    Your comments have been really useful, they've made me think more about what people want to know about. You would make a great teacher!

    take care x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabs,

    I have seen a few musicals in my time however Billy Elliot is no one of them. From reading your piece I feel that I have the sufficent amount of information that makes me really want to go see the Musical Production

    I feel the way you haven given me an insight into the production storyline has made me more determined to book tickets for the show. I do feel however that you could shorten the paragraphs and not give to much away as the reader can become distracted where the onformation may not be sinking in. I feel you are on point with the information provided and has told me everything I needed to know.

    The last paragraph for me does not interest me so much and I feel that perhaps it is not needed but that is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete