Saturday 3 October 2009

Personal Statement...

At the age of six I joined a local establishment called The Chicken Shed Theatre Company, the sessions were held weekly in a church hall in Palmers Green. Each session consisted of dancing, acting and singing - singing and acting being my preferred subjects. As I grew as a performer so did the company taking us to the fantastic theatre they stand in today at Cockfosters.

The company already had good communication with the outside world, each performer was their own person allowing everyone to have the parts they deserved. My first show was “The Night Before Christmas with Alice“. From my sisters being part of the company I already knew what hard work the rehearsals were going to be. I gained the part of the Ace of Spades.

Throughout the years at Chicken Shed I learnt some valuable lessons in performing on stage - I am the only person who can make myself look good, working as a company was down to each individual and it was down to those individuals to make the show work. We were given some great guidance from people such as Mary Ward - Director, Jo Collins - Vocal, Christine Nearing - Chorography and many more, each of them showing us different ways to express our emotions, channelling our energy into performance. I do feel that my love for performing has made me the person I am today, allowing my confidence to grow and my personality to shine through a sometimes frosty exterior.

As I got older I got more established roles in shows allowing me to blossom on stage. I hungered to study acting full time however at the age of 12 my father was determined to send me to mainstream school to get a ‘proper’ education - which in Heinz sight was probably the best choice. I continued to attend Chicken Shed throughout my teenage years, however was forced to leave due to the location of my 6th form college - the two hour journey from my house to college made it impossible to attend any of the evening sessions that were held at Chicken Shed - this part of my life I refer to as ‘growing up‘.

I chose to study Media Production at college as I felt that this could also play a part in my performing career. Unfortunately I did not use my skills as often as possible yet on the plus side I am now able to add camerawork, directing, production work and editing experience to my CV. Over the 3 years that I studied Media my love for acting called and I yearned to get back on stage, if I ever went to see a performance I wanted to be the one on the credits, taking the bow, I used to et rather upset about the whole situation as I felt that I had left my passion behind. I watched my classmates excel in various production fields but I myself could never find a nook in Media that I fitted into, in short I wanted to be studying Acting and singing not Media.

Having dropped out of my first year at Leeds University I took it upon myself to get back into education and find my passion, this is when I discovered the Foundation Degree at Barnet College. It seemed like the perfect course - it was close to my home and I would be studying Performing Arts.

Starting the course in September 2007 I felt very overwhelmed I hadn’t performed in front of people in such a long time I was unsure if I could do it anymore, with the guidance of a couple of great teachers and a fantastic group of classmates I soon realised that a piece of me had been returned I tried my hand at everything - although I was never that good at making an idea come to life I successfully wrote a comedy script for my FMP which from the feedback I was given proved to be a hit with the audience allowing me to obtain a distinction for that module.


I am due to have a baby on 22nd December 2009 so feel that this course is perfect for me, once our baby girl is born I plan on pursuing a teaching career with a little stage life involved while I achieve my qualifications. My passions is Acting and my interest in teaching as grow remarkably over the past two years. I feel that sharing my day with student who share my love for the Performing Arts would be something of a dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gabrielle,
    Firstly, congratulations on your baby! I'm sure your really looking forward to December :)
    I read this post on Alan's recommendation and whole-heartedly agree with his comments. I like the way that you have given us a detailed summary of your path up until now, but for each stage you have explained your emotions, and therefore reasons, behind your decisions. It is far more engaging than simply reading a stream of facts!
    Thank you for an interesting read, and all the best!

    ReplyDelete